The state and federal governments and medical boards make or enforce laws that are of great significance to patient safety. Dr. Teitelbaum has been a stalwart of lobbying in his state legislature, Congress, and the FDA for the benefit of plastic surgery patients. These activities have included:
- Encouraging Congress to pass the "Children with Deformities Act" which would mandate insurance companies provide coverage for children with birth defects;
- Requiring dental insurance plans to cover orthodontic treatment for the terrible dental problems in children with cleft lips and palates;
- Requiring direct physician oversight of medi-spas treating patients with lasers;
- Mandating doctors disclose their education and board certification;
- Limiting doctors who hold board certification in "bogus" boards—boards that do not require proper education and training—from advertising to the public that they are actually "board certified;"
- Protecting patients from dentists wishing to perform cosmetic surgery;
- Testifying in front of the FDA to allow patients a wider choice of better breast implants.