The state and federal governments and medical boards make or enforce laws that are of great significance to patient safety.
Dr. Teitelbaum has been a stalwart of lobbying in his state legislature, Congress, and the FDA for the benefit of plastic surgery patients. These activities have included:
- Encouraging Congress to pass the "Children with Deformities Act" which would mandate insurance companies provide coverage for children with birth defects;
- Requiring dental insurance plans to cover orthodontic treatment for the terrible dental problems in children with cleft lips and palates;
- Requiring direct physician oversight of medi-spas treating patients with lasers;
- Mandating doctors disclose their education and board certification;
- Limiting doctors who hold board certification in "bogus" boards—boards that do not require proper education and training—from advertising to the public that they are actually "board certified;"
- Protecting patients from dentists wishing to perform cosmetic surgery;
- Testifying in front of the FDA to allow patients a wider choice of better breast implants.
More on the FDA-approval of silicone breast implants
Dr. Steven Teitelbaum addresses the FDA Silicone Breast Implants Panel
Dr. Steven Teitelbaum advocating for patient rights
As president of the California Society of Plastic Surgeons I advocated legislation that would protect patients from unqualified doctors, require insurance coverage of birth defects, and mandate accredited operating rooms. Here I am posing in front of the governor's office with the California state animal, the grizzly bear. Does anyone find it odd that our state animal is extinct?